You love reading, we love reading, so fellow book clubbers we need your help.
Book Clubs in Schools is a charity offering a unique cross-age peer mentoring programme. We work in primary and secondary schools in disadvantaged areas developing character skills, improving communication skills and encouraging reading for pleasure. We are the only programme which delivers book clubs within a school setting and trains the older students to lead the book clubs for younger students.
Through the Book Clubs, pupils learn to
- read at a higher level
- foster analytical thinking
- use evidence to support opinions
- articulate and share ideas
- develop emotional intelligence, empathy and creativity
- interact and relate to peers from different age groups and diverse backgrounds
- organise and manage their time
- effectively lead and facilitate group discussion (Book Club leaders)
To date, the Book Club has reached over 10,000 students and we need your help to reach more.
With a £50 donation, you can help fund a school book club and invest in the next generation.
What students say:
“…an excellent programme that gives us (young adults) the opportunity to help educate children of a younger age and develop their reading and communication skills.”
—Morgan and Ellen, Year 12 Book Club Leaders
“Nowadays, teenagers are always on phones giving their opinions on photos, videos and celebrity gossip. However, in Book Club it is face-to-face which shows the ‘lost’ art of conversation is making its way back and people can express their thoughts on books with actual spoken words; not emojis.”
— Maia, Year 7 Book Clubber